Saturday, January 28, 2017

David Lee Roth; the Van Halen rocker does kendo?

In episode of 905 of “The Joe Rogan Experience” (1/27/2017) the interview with Henry Rollins (musician and travel writer) mentioned David Lee Roth’s world travelling adventures. Specifically they were talking about how Roth had moved to Japan to study martial arts. Rogan described Roth’s pursuit as kendo.


David Lee Roth, the singer for rock music group “Van Halen,” moved to Tokyo in 2012. In addition to working in a recording studio, he was studying Japanese, go and kenjutsu. When an interviewer (Jeff. W. Richards, from Metropolis Magazine) asked him if he was studying kendo in Japan, Roth specifically said “No, it’s not kendo. It’s kenjutsu.” and went on to say “I’m going for my menkyo kaiden [full mastery] and I’ve been doing that since I was 12.” While explaining his martial arts background, Roth did mention having a childhood neighbor who was a kendo instructor. In a 2002 AV Club article Roth is quoted saying: “Two nights a week, I have a kendo instructor come here, who’s in his 60s, and I have a kendo hall that I built in my house here.”


On his YouTube channel, “The Roth Show,” he gives a demonstration of Iaido, a tour of his home “mojo dojo” and he describes a bit of kendo. You can see his iaido video here:



References


No comments:

Post a Comment