Kansai Culture Day 2017;
Kansai Culture Day is an annual promotion event during which museums, gardens and parks offer free or discounted admission. The program involves over 600 facilities around the Kansai (and some places beyond that geographic area).
For most places the special Kansai Culture Day admission rate applies to the weekend of November 18-19 but some places offer free admission during a different date or extend their free admission to the entire month of November.
Because you only have a limited window to visit these museums, the following list provides you with some recommended places to look into to get the most out of the opportunity.
- Expo ‘70 Park/ “Banpakku”. You can visit the gardens and the 1970 Expo Pavilion for free. The Park also has an interesting ethnology museum to check out (not sure if that will be free, but the normal price is only a few hundred yen). 11/18-19, 13:30-15:00. http://www.city.suita.osaka.jp/home/soshiki/div-shimin/jinken/_70171.html
- Osaka Museum of History. A popular museum in Osaka where you can see Osaka throughout different periods in history. The permanent exhibit is free on Kansai Culture Days but you will have to pay extra to see the special temporary exhibits. A great museum to check out at least once. 11/18-19. http://www.mus-his.city.osaka.jp/
- Nagai Botanical Garden and the Museum of Natural History. The winding garden has a heart shaped arch and there is a skeleton of huge blue whale in front of the museum. Good place for photos. 11/18-19, 9:30-16:30. http://www.nagai-park.jp/n-syoku/index.html
- Kansai University Museum. This will only be open for free on the Friday before the main weekend. 11/17. http://www.kansai-u.ac.jp/Museum/index.html
- Sakai City Museum. This museum features ancient artifacts from the famous burial mounds of Sakai. 11/18-19, 9:30-17:15. http://www.city.sakai.lg.jp/kanko/hakubutsukan/
- Suita Municipal Peace Memorial Museum. 11/18-19, 10:00-18:00. http://www.city.suita.osaka.jp/home/soshiki/div-shimin/jinken/_70171.html
- Takatsuki City History Museum. 11/18-19. 10:00-17:00. http://www.city.takatsuki.osaka.jp/rekishi_kanko/rekishi/rekishikan/shiroato/
- Hirakata Archaeology and Folklore Research Center. Open for free all November (regular operating hours). https://www.eonet.ne.jp/~hirakatabunkazai/imonosiryokan/3sisetu/3sisetu.html
- Kawachi Wine-Kan. A center that promotes the Kawachi areas wine industry. Has a gift-shop nature rather than an informative one. 11/18-19. 10:00-18:00p. http://www.kawachi-wine.co.jp/wine_kan.html
- Osaka Bicycle Museum Cycle Center. A facility that has a bunch of novel pedal-powered machines and a course to ride around. 11/18-19. 10:00-16:30. http://www.bikemuse.jp/
- Osaka Sewerage Museum. A lot of kid-friendly exhibits that children can crawl around on. The museum looks at the water treatment process and Osaka’s water, drainage and flood control infrastructure. 11/18-19. http://www.city-osaka-sewerage-museum.or.jp/
- Yayoi Culture Museum. A look at the ancient Yayoi civilization of Japan during the reign of Queen Himiko. Near Matsunohama station. 11/18-19, 9:30-17:00. http://www.kanku-city.or.jp/yayoi/jousetsu/index.html
- Kotani Castle Museum. 11/18-19, 10:00-17:00. http://www.kotanijo.jp/
- Osaka Museum of Housing and Living. This museum is good for taking photos. You can rent Japanese style clothing to wear while strolling the streets of a simulated Edo period town, which has an artificial sky that cycles through day and night. The permanent exhibition area is free. 11/18-19. 10:00-17:00. http://konjyakukan.com/
- Cup Noodle Museum. This is a surprisingly popular museum in Osaka. Visitors can concoct their own noodle creation to take home. Free throughout all of November during normal hours. https://www.cupnoodles-museum.jp/en/osaka_ikeda/
- Maishima Garbage Incinerator. An informative through a modern waste facility where materials are sorted to be recycled or burned. The exterior of the building looks like a colorful theme park. Unlike the other Kansai Culture Day events, this place offers free admission on an out-of-sync date: 11/11-12, 9:30-16:30. http://www.osaka-info.jp/en/blog/2011/01/visual-solution-for-pollutionc.php