The Michelin Guide is the world's most respected authority in restaurant ratings.
Michelin is a French tire company started publishing travel guides which reviewed hotels and restaurants in Europe to promote travel and increase the popularity of automobiles in order to expand their sales of tires.
The Michelin Guides are a series of books which review restaurants and give high quality restaurants a rating from one star to three stars.
The Michelin Guide also offers a special recommendation for restaurants that offer affordably priced dishes called "Bib Gourmand." This recommendation is set relative to local prices and the standard limitation in Japan is 5000 yen.
Three Stars * * *
Osaka has four restaurants that have the highest possible rating. This rare rating indicates that the prestigious chefs make unique dishes with the choicest ingredients. Three of the four restaurants serve traditional Japanese food but the newest three star restaurant is doing something different.
1. Hajime. This is the newest three star restaurant in Osaka. It is located near Higobashi station. They serve orignal creations that don't fit into normal categories. Their most recommended dish is called "Planet Earth."
The standard tasting menu cost 35,640 yen and there is a dress code (men must wear jackets and leather shoes).
2. Kashiwaya. Is a a Japanese restaurant in Suita, near KandaiMae station. Lunch prices start at 10,000 yen and dinner starts at 16,000 yen.
3. Koryu. Near Kitashinichi station in the Dojima area, which is full of high class dining options.
They serve special dishes depending on the season which range from 22,000 yen (spring) to 30,000 yen (winter).
4. Taian. Near Nagahori-bashi station. Meals cost about 10,000 yen.
Two Stars * *
Two star restaurants are considered to be places that are "worth a detour" rather than "worth a special journey" (like the 3-stars). Osaka has 17 of these restaurants.
1. Ajikitcho Horieten. Japanese restaurant that serves lunch sets for 3000 (4 dishes) to 8000 yen (8 dishes). For dinner, the omakase (chef's choice) course costs 20,000 yen.
2. Aoki. Near Tenjinbashisuji-6chome station. Dinner costs about 11,000 yen.
3. Fujiya 1935 is located near Sakaisuji Honmachi station. Dinner costs about 15,000 yen.
4. Hoba. Korean restaurant located near Oebashi station in the Dojima area. Dinner course costs about 12,000 yen.
5. Honkogetsu. In the Dotombori area, near Namba station.
6. Ichiju Nisai Ueno Minoten. Located near Mino Park near the famous waterfall in northern Osaka. Dinner costs 13,000 to 30,000 yen.
7. Kahala. Located near Kita-Shinichi in the Dojima area. The restaurant seeks out new and novel flavors with unique dishes. Dinner costs up to 30,000 yen.
8. Kasho. Near Kaizuka station, not far from Kansai Airport. 13,000 to 27,000 yen for either lunch or dinner. The restaurant is in the style of a traditional Japanese tea house.
9. Kitahachi. 80 year old fugu master runs this restaurant which focuses on the use of fugu (blowfish). 16,000-33,000 yen.
10. La Cime. A French restaurant. 8500 yen for lunch (9 dishes). 18000 yen for dinner (12 dishes). Near Honmachi station.
11. Masuda. Japanese restaurat that costs 9000 yen to 12,000 for dinner.
12. Miyamoto. 15,000 yen for a Japanese dinner at this restaurant near Minami-Morimachi station.
13. Shunsaiten Tsuchiya. Near Esaka station. Tempura restaurant. 5,000 yen lunch set to 11,000 dinner set.
14. Sushi Haroshi. Near Tanimachi 9-chome. Costs about 7,000 yen.
15. Sushiyoshi. Near Minami-Morimachi. Costs about 23,000 yen.
16. Toyonaka Sakurae. Kaiseki restaurant serving traditional Japanese food. Near Toyonaka station. 5000-6000 yen for lunch. 6000-8000 yen for dinner.
17. Yunagi Takayasu. Fugu restaurant. Near Asahishiobashi station. 23,000-34,000 yen.
One Star *There are 75 one star restaurants in Osaka. Currently, the list will not try to be complete but these are some notable highlights.
1. Ad Hoc. A French restaurant near Nakanoshima station or Fukushima station which has ornate presentations of dishes. 5000 yen for lunch to 12,000 yen for dinner.
2. Again. Kushi-age / kushi-katsu restaurant near Kita-Shinichi station. About 20,000 yen for a meal.
3. Chugokusai S. Sawada. A new restaurant on the one star list. Lunches cost from 1100 yen to 11,000. Dinner costs 8000 to 13,000 yen. This is a Chinese (Cantonese) restaurant. One star is the highest rating for any Chinese restaurants in Osaka. Near Naniwabashi station.
4. Kitamura. A sukiyaki restaurant near Namba station. Meals cost about 11,000 yen.
5. Kita-Shinichi Fukudatei. A steakhouse near Kite-Shinichi station. Courses are 12,000 to 16,000 yen.
6. Manu. Oden restaurant near Kita-Shinichi station and Oebashi station. Lunch is only 1000-2000 yen but dinner courses are 15,000-20,000 yen.
7. Sobakiri Masa. A highly rated Soba restaurant that serves lunch for only 900-1800 yen. Dinner costs up to 3,500 yen. Near Honmachi station.
8. Torisho Ishii. Yakitori restaurant near Shin-Fukushima station. One star is the highest score for any yakitori restaurant.
9. Izakaya Nagahori. The only izakaya on the list. Food in izakaya is meant as a supplement to the drinks, alcohol is the focus for izakaya. Near Tamatsukuri station (south of Osaka Castle). 8,000 to 10,000 yen for dinner.
10. Yoshiko. Fugu restaurant near Kita-Shinichi station. 24,000-36,000 yen for dinner.
11. Pierre. A French restaurant in the Inter-Continental Hotel near Osaka station. This restaurant received very high ratings for comfort and atmosphere, Dinner costs at least 10,000 yen. The Truffle courses costs over 35,000 yen.
12. La Baie. This is a part of the Ritz-Carlton luxury hotel. So it should not be a surprise that this has the highest rating for comfort and atmosphere in Osaka outside of the 3 star category. Dinners cost 24,000 yen before drinks.
13. Tembabashi Fujikawa. Japanese style restaurant near Tembabashi station next to the river. Lunch costs about 5000 yen and dinner costs about 8000-12,000 yen (before drinks).
14. Kokyu. This has the highest rating (in comfort) for any Chinese restaurant in Osaka. Located near Osaka station. Average cost is around 10,000 yen.
Bib GourmandThere are 131 Bib Gourmand restaurants in Osaka. The price limitations on the Bib Gourmand category mean that these restaurants are a good choice for most people who are trying to find great food at an affordable price.
1. Aiduya. A takoyaki restaurant in Namba. The prices range from 500 yen to 1000 yen.
2. Akaoni Takoyaki. In the Dotombori area near Namba station. 500 to 1000 yen.
3. Unagiya. Unagi (eel) restaurant near Nishinakajima-Minamigata station. 2000-8000 yen.
4. Porta Nuova. Pizza restaurant near Honmachi station. Pizza lunch for 1900 yen. Party dinner with all you can drink for 6000 yen.
5. La Jardin. French restaurant that has the highest class of comfort rating for the Bib Gourmand category. Dinner from 4500 yen to 8800 yen.
6. Epais Kitashinchiten. Tonkatsu restaurant near Kita-Shinichi station. Lunch 1000-3000 yen. Dinner costs 2000-5000 yen.
7. Omoni. Okonomiyaki restaurant near Momodani station. There are no okonomiyaki restaurants on the star-rated list so this is a relatively high-class version of the humble Osakan food. The restaurant is rated as "simple" in comfort. Meals are 650 yen to 3,000 yen.
8. Kiji. Okonomiyaki restaurant at Osaka station. 1000-10,000 yen.
9. Grill Taihei. Yoshoku restaurant near Kintetsu Imazato station. 1200 to 5000 yen.
10. Kateiryouri Joan. Obanzai (simple vegetables and seafood in a Kyoto style) restaurant near Kita-Shinichi station. 4000-5000 yen (300 yen seat charge).
11. Takotsubo. Osakan food; takoyaki, yakisoba and okonomiyaki. Near Abeno station (or Tennoji) 760-2000 yen.
12. Wagyusenmonten Gururi. A restaurant specializing in Japanese beef near Yodoyabashi station. Lunch is only 1000-2000 yen. Dinner is 5000-11000 yen.
13. Yoshokuya Fujiya. Yoshoku (western influenced Japanese food) near Sakai-suji Honmachi. 850-5000 yen for lunch. Dinner costs 4000-7000 yen.
14. Soba Makino. Soba noodle restaurant near Osaka station. 940-3000 yen.
15. Umaiya. Takoyaki stand near Tenjinbashisuji 6-chome. 400-1000 yen.
16. Ali's Kitchen. Pakistani food restaurant near Shinsaibashi station. 750-2000+ yen.
17. Southern Peas. Cajun restaurant near Minami-Morimachi and Osaka Tenmangu shrine. 1200-3000 yen (with the 540 yen dinner seating charge).
18. Gastroteka Bimendi. Spanish restaurant near Honmachi station. 1000-4000 yen.
Gourmet Map 2018
The gold colored star marks represent the 3-star restaurants.
The silver colored star marks represent the 2-star restaurants.
The bronze colored star marks represent the 1-star restaurants.
The heart marks represent the Bib Gourmand restaurants.