6/29-7/1. 10a-4p. Kyoto Pulse Plaza Antique Fair.
7/1- Ice lanterns will be in display at Nara's Himuro Shrine. This event happens on the first night of each month. Near Kintetsu Nara Station.
7/1-9/23. 19:00-20:00. Cormorant (ukai) fishing at Arashiyama on the Oi River. Near Hankyu Arashiyama station.
7/1 (1st Sunday of July every year). 10:30a-9pm. Tatsuta Shrine handheld fireworks show. Near JR Sango (near Oji) station in Nara Prefecture. Fireworks start at 9pm.
7/7-8. 20:00-16:00. Handmade goods market at Shimogamo Shrine near Demachiyanagi station.
7/7-7/8. "Reptiles Fever" exhibit at ATC.
7/8. Swap Meet at Tsurumi-Ryokuchi Park.
Tanabata- The Star Festival 7/7
- Amanogawa- River lit by LED balls near Temmabashi station. http://www.osaka-amanogawa.com/
- Shitennoji Tanabata tunnel. Near Shitennoji Yuhigaoka-mae station. 7/6-7/8.
- Hatamoto Shrine Tanabata. Near Tsuda station. http://hatamono.web.fc2.com/sub4.html
- Tezutsu- handheld fireworks. Fireworks at 7p but thr fesiretfival starts at 4:30/. Near Konan station.
- Umeda City Tanabata. Tanabata decorations at Umeda Sky Building until 8/8. http://www.skybldg.co.jp/event/tanabata/index.html
- Hoshiai (Star Lovers) matsuri at Osaka Tenmangu. Lights and music at the shrine. Near the Amanogawa LED location.
- Shiramine Jingu Shrine Tanabata Festival- kemari (a ball kicking game) played at 3pm. A group dance will be performed at 4pm. Horikawa Imadegawa bus stop in Kyoto. http://shiraminejingu.or.jp/event/tanabata/
- Kifune Shrine Water Festival. 10a-Noon. You will need to take a bus from Kifunguchi train station. Lanterns on display until 8pm. https://www.facebook.com/notes/%E8%B2%B4%E8%88%B9%E7%A5%9E%E7%A4%BE/%E8%B2%B4%E8%88%B9%E3%81%AE%E6%B0%B4%E3%81%BE%E3%81%A4%E3%82%8A-%E8%9B%87%E5%8F%A3%E3%81%AE%E5%90%91%E3%81%93%E3%81%86%E3%81%AB%E3%81%82%E3%82%8B%E3%82%82%E3%81%AE%E3%82%92%E6%83%B3%E3%81%86/384755028244294
- Kodai-ji Tanabata. Temple light-up until 9:30p. Bamboo tree decorations.
- 7/7-8. 20:00. Yodogawa Sky Lanterns.
7/11-7/12. 9a-11p. Ikutama Shrine Festival.
7/11-7/14. Kumata Shrine Summer Festival. A great place to see danjiri in Osaka. Near Hirano station. The main parade of danjiri will be on the 13th at 7pm.
7/13. 6:30p. Namba Yasaka Shrine to Dotombori river boat ride.
7/13-20. 5p-10p. Kobe, Sammomiya Gion Festival. Gion Shrine.
7/14. Nachi Ogi. Torches paraded to the famous waterfall in Wakayama prefecture. http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/world-heritage/kumano-nachi-taisha/
7/14. 16:00-20:30. Yume Narie lightup event at Rokkomichi Minami Park near Rokkomichi station.
7/13-8/5. Fun Fan Festa. The 5th floor of Osaka Station City.
7/14-15. 10:00-15:30. Cosplay Day(s) at Tsurumi-Ryokuchi Park.
7/14-15. Summer Festival, portable shrine (and danjiri parade?) around Yae Shrine. Near Momodani Station.
7/15-17. Sea Shrine Summer Festival near Tarumi station.
7/15. 10a. Matsuno-o Onda Festival. Rice planting girls are paraded around the shrine on men's shoulders.
7/15-7/16. 10a-8p. Kobe Love Port Minato Matsuri in Meriken Park.
7/16. Himeji Port Local Festival.
7/17. Summer Featival at Ofusa Kanon Temple. The temple will also have a wind chime festival from 7/1-8/31. Near JR Unebi station.
7/17. 10a-3p. Himeji Port Fureai Festival.
7/17 and 7/24. Gion Matsuri parades in Kyoto. 7/17 is the main event.
- 7/14-16, 7/21-23. Two days before the opening and closing parades the YamaHoko floats will be parked on the streets with lanterns and there will be festival vendor stalls set up on the streets.
- 7/24. 10:00. Hanagasa parade. A parade of floral parasols and people in swan costumes.
- 7/10-14. Assembling the YamaHoko floats.
- 7/17. 09:10. Kuji Aratame. The mayor of Kyoto draws a fortune predicting the luck of the festival and city.
- 7/16. 16:30. Iwami Kagura. Dance performance on the stage of Gion Yasaka shrine
- 7/10. 16:30-21:00. Omukai Chouchin. A portable shrine and paper lanterns will be paraded from Yasaka shrine along Shijo-Dori street and Kawaramachi-Dori street.
- 7/17 and 7/24. 09:00-12:00. The opening and closing parades of the YamaHoko floats.
7/21. 15:00-19:00. Hikone Yukata matsuri. Near Hikone Station.
7/22? 19:00-21:00.- Mino Waterfall Candle Road
7/22. 10:00-17:00. Yushinkan swordsmanship demonstration at Shudokan. Near Morinomiya station.
7/22-7/23?. Motomiya and Yoimiya Festival. Hundreds of candles will decorate the hugely popular Fushimi Inari shrine in Kyoto. Ceremoies will be 6pm on the 22nd and 9am on the 23rd.
7/22-7/30?. 5:30p-9p. Mitarashi at Shimogamo Shrine. Walk through a stream at this shrine to offer prayer candles. Near Demachiyanagi station in Kyoto.
7/24. 4pm-10pm. 7/25. 12:30-10pm. Daigakku Festival at Tamane Shrine near Tamade train station. The action takes place from 20:00-22:00 as the smaller floats are carried around the neighboring park. In this festival an array of lanterns resembling the mast of a sailboat is paraded around the park near the shrine. At Ikune Shrine near Tamada station.
7/22-23. Noon-8pm. Gochizan Rengenji Cucumber Purification Ritual. People write their names and ages on a cucumber then rub the cucumber over their bodies and bury it in the ground; this is done to ward off illness.
7/23-24. Ohara Gion Festival at Otori shrine near Koka station. http://ootorijinjya.jp/html/004.html
|Ohara Gion Festival|
7/25. 9a-3p. Anraku-ji Temple Shishigatani Pumpkin Service. Cooked pumpkin is served to ward off illness (500 yen for entry and the pumpkin).
7/25. 9a-3p. Shinnyo-do Temple will display the contents of their treasury and serve tea (500 yen for admission and tea).
7/24-25. Wakayama Tenjin Matsuri.
7/24-9/2. Giant Body Exhibit at ATC. 1500 yen.
7/24-25 Tenjin Matsuri. Osaka's largest festival. Parades and fireworks.
- 7/24. 08:50. Hikonagashi ritual. Opening ceremonies at Hokonagashi Bridge where priests board a boat and purify a talisman symbolically washing away sins.
- 7/24. 16:00-19:00. Moyooshi drum float parade from Osaka Tenmangu.
- 7/24. 18:40. Floating performance of Takigi Noh theater. A stage will be set up on a barge in front of OAP port and viewers can watch from the riverfront.
- 7/25. 19:30-20:50. Hounou Hanabi fireworks show. 5000 explosions.
- 7/25. 15:30-18:00. Rikutogyo. Portable shrines are maneuvered around Tenjin Shrine then loaded onto boats for the Funatogyo river procession.
- 7/25. 18:00-21:00. Funatogyo. A procession of some 100 boats on the Ogawa river. Between Kitahama and Sakuranomiya stations.
7/26. 9a-noon. Beetle fighting tournament at Takasago shrine. 20 minite walk from Suminoe station.
7/30?. 8-8:40p. Shirahama beach fireworks.
7/27. 19:30-20:30. Nagahama Port Northern Lake Biwa Fireworks Show. Near Nagahama station. http://kitabiwako.jp/event/event_2185/
7/28. 7pm-?. Tanukidani Fudo-in Temple. Hi-watari fire-walking ritual.
7/28. 10a-9:30p. Amanogawa Tanabata Matsuri. Near Kisaichi station. Light up after 7pm.
7/28. Osaka Station. Kinosaki-spa.gr.jp. Miss Yukata Contest.
7/28- Shigaraki Fire Festival. Festival from 7pm. Fireworks at 9pm.
7/28. 20:30-. Temposan fireworks show. There will also be a stage show from 17:00.
7/28. 19:40. Himeji Minato Fireworks Show.
7/28. 7:30-8:45p. Himeji Port fireworks.
7/28. 7:40pm. Kishiwada Port Festival Fireworks. Near Himeji Station or Shikama Station.
7/28-29. 13:00-20:00. Umeda Yukata Matsuri.
7/29. Maizuru fireworks, in the far northern part of Kyoto prefecture.
7/29. 4p-9p. Moriyama Summer Festival.
7/29, 8/4-5. 11:00-18:00. Odorunya Yosakoi dance festival. At Wakayama Marina City near Kainan Station.
7/30-8/1. Sumiyoshi Matsuri. August first there will be a parade in which the portable shrine is carried to the river for special cleansing ceremony. The shrine will have a summer festival from July 30th.
July 31. 13:00-21:30p. Sakai Fish Auction. Main event at 7pm. http://yoich.com/
7/31? 10a-7:30p. Anpara Matsuri. There will be fireworks after 7:30pm. Near Miwa station.
7/31. 9pm. Atago Shrine Sennichi Mairi shrine visit. Prayers for fire protection, with a special fire ceremony at 9pm. Near the Kiyotaki bus stop.
7/28-29. Birdman Rally. Engineering students attempt to fly their contraptions over Lake Biwa in Hikone. Shuttle bus from Hikone station.
7/31. 10:00-19:30. Onpara Matsuri at Tsunakoshi Shrine (also called "Onpara Shrine.") Near JR Miwa station.
Summer (?)- Tennoji night zoo.
Ukai - Cormorant Fishing. Leashed waterfowl and boats with fiery torches are used to catch river fish in this ancient practice.
7/1-9/23. 7-8pm. Ukai, cormorant fishing at Arashiyama.
7/1-9/30. Ukai on Nakanoshima in Uji. Near Uji station.
7/16-9/14. 9:30-9:45a. Summer Shikayose. Calling in the deer for feeding with French horn music.
8/1- Saitobi: high diving monks jump from a cliff into Lake Biwa.
8/1. 7:30pm. Hikone and Kita-Biwako Fireworks Festival. Near Hikone Station.
8/5-8/14. Nara Tokae. Candle event in Nara.
8/6-7. World Cosplay Summit in Nagoya near Sakae station and Osu Kanon.
The Pokemon anniversary is coming up, so I anticipate some sort of bonus event. So save your silver eggs; maybe you can get 4x experience!